|Japanese||真 SAMURAI SPIRITS 覇王丸地獄変 - Shin Samurai Supirittsu: Haōmaru Jigokuhen|
|Ports||Neo Geo CD, PlayStation, Windows, PlayStation 2, Wii, PSN, Virtual Console, XBLA, Neo Geo X, iOS, Android|
October 28, 1994 (MVS)
|Modes|| Single player|
2 VS players
|Rating||ESRB: T for Teen - animated blood, crude humor, violence.|
|Display||304 x 224 pixels (horizontal, 4,096 colors)|
|Rom size||202 Megs|
Samurai Shodown II, released in Japan as True Samurai Spirits: Haohmaru's Portrait of Hell, is a competitive fighting game produced by SNK in 1994 for the all Neo Geo systems, preceding the original Samurai Shodown and was followed by a third game in the series, Samurai Shodown III.
The first game was met with enthusiasm from gamers and press, so SNK made several adjustments with revamped, new offensive and defensive moves, more characters, new uses for the POW gauge and a new defensive parry-like move for all characters, a technique made famous later by Capcom's Street Fighter III.
This sequel retains the same input as the first Samurai Shodown: two Slash and two Kick buttons, divided into light and medium. Strong Slash can be done pressing Light Slash + Medium Slash together, while Strong Kick with Light Kick + Medium Kick at the same time. Basic moves like Dash (forward twice, also known as the "Bakufu Blitz"), Jump Back (backward twice, also known as "Flying Retreat"), Body Toss (press any button near the opponent), the Locking Swords system (when two armed characters locks their weapons, press Light Slash and Medium Slash quickly), the Barehanded Sword Grab (do a middle circle forward in the joystick when unarmed with the right timing to catch an opponent sword attack and make a counter attack) are present here. Hikyaku, "the Edo Express Delivery Man" is present once again (only money/bonus points are gone). The Rage Gauge system returns; when a player received damage the gauge increases. When it reaches MAX, the player enters in Rage Explosion mode, increasing their attack power during a certain amount of time, after that, the gauge returns to its initial state.
New to the series:Edit
- Forward roll - tap twice diagonal down-forward to perform a roll forward the opponent.
- Backward roll - tap twice diagonal down-backward to perform a roll away the opponent.
- Duck - double tap down to croush to avoid air-proyectiles and attacks.
- Hop Back, Run - a feint move entering the command back, back, forward to make jump back and then perform a dash move to surprise the opponent.
- Short Hop - press Medium Slash + Light Kick at the same time to perform a small back jump. If the player also press forward, the jump will be straigh up.
- Taunt - pressing Light Slash + Light Kick or Medium Slash + Medium Kick to perform a taunt. Nothing is affected by a taunt.
- Blocking a weapon attack at the very last moment will result in a Sword Stun parry move, causing the attacking character to freeze briefly. Note that this requires extreme precision.
- This is the first Samurai Shodown game to feature Super Special Moves to deal major damage, called Weapon-Breaking Super Special Moves. Can only be perfrormed during Rage Explosion. The input for each character appears in-screen above the Rage Gauge. If the player hits the player successfully with a Weapon-Breaking Super Special Move, in addiction to the high level of damage inflicted, the opponent looses his/her weapon during a seconds, until Kuroko provides a replacement.
Original wester version:
- Long long ago, there were a man
who try to make his skill
ultimate. Because of his bloody
life, it's no accident that he
was involved in the troubles.
Original Japanese version:
- Imahamukashi no monogatari.
Waga michi kiwame ntosuru otoko ari.
Chinamagusai ikizama ni
kyouji matouha guuzen deha nakatta.
- This is an ancient tale...
About man who tried to excel at his path.
Because of his bloody way of life,
it was no accident he was involved into troubles...
SNK updated translation:
- This is an ancient story.
A tale of a man who tried to excel at his profession.
And in this bloody way of life,
extreme carnage was no coincidence.
Year 1789, from spring to summer. Shiro Tokisada Amakusa, cause of the calamities occurring worldwide and driven to resurrect the Dark Deity Ambrosia, was slain by a single samurai whose existence was never recorded by history.
This person deeply involved with the resurrected Amakusa, Haohmaru, was suddenly attacked one night. But the one who was up easily defeated was not Haohmaru, but the sinister assailant...
Haohmaru's attacker was clearly manipulated by someone or something, an evil force.
The would-be assassin gasps a final promise to Haohmaru. "I'll have your soul one day.... Ambrosia...lives." The evil ones are after him! Haohmaru, sensing an evil force rivaling Amakusa, pays a visit on his old fencing master. While Haohmaru relates his story, his master's visage grows unusually grim.
"Stay away. You have undeniably grown stronger. But you must not confront them. Do you understand?"
His master obviously knows more, but grows silent, and besides Haohmaru isn't listening anyway. That night, they share a few drinks to celebrate their reunion after a long separation, and at dawn Haohmaru slips out unannounced to embark on his journey.
An audacious smile plays on his lips.
New to the series Edit
- Cham Cham - Tam Tam's daughter. She was so absorbed in her fishing that she didn't notice when someone stole her family's heirloom, the Tanjil Stone. If her father finds out, she'll get in trouble. Her grandfather told poor Cham Cham the direction of the Tanjil Stone.
- Genjuro Kibagami - Haohmaru's true rival. "There is no question you are strong. But one day, you will cause great suffering with your sword." With those words, Nicotine expelled Genjuro, who became his pupil at the same time as Haohmaru. With a heart full of hate, Genjuro hunts Haohmaru and Nicotine.
- Neinhalt Sieger - Sieger, the commander of the most powerful group of knights in Europe, The Holy Order of the Knights of the Red Lion, was ordered by Emperor Heinrich to destroy, singlehandedly, the demon that had been attacking neighboring countries. Sieger set out on a jorney, for the good of his homeland.
- Nicotine Caffeine - Haohmaru and Genjuro's master. There was a time when Nicotine hunted demons with his sword. But after being defeated by a certain demon, he settled down and lived quietly as a priest. But one day, he learned that the same demon was now after his pupil's life.
Returning characters Edit
- Charlotte Christine Colde - Charlotte commissioned a mural depicting her victory over Amakusa. The artist's brush flew, as if he was possessed, and painted the form of a demon Charlotte had never seen before.
- Earthquake - As usual, Earthquake was thieving when he heard a voice from a demon. He promised gold if Earthquake killed certain people. Greedy Earthquake decided to become a servant of this demon...
- Galford D. Weller - There had been a noticeable increase in crime recently. Getting suspicious, Galford investigated a group of related incidents and found that dark shadows from the demon world were causing those with weak hearts to commit crime.
- Genan Shiranui - Genan's soul was in the demon world where screaming, insanity, and hatred swirled in a giant vortex. The ruler of this demon world came to Genan and told him he could be given his life back, in return for servitude. Genan's body rematerialized when he pledged his loyalty.
- Hanzo Hattori - After defeating Amakusa, Hanzo was able to retrieve his son's body. But his soul still wandered the land of the demons, as before. One day, Hanzo learned that he could liberate all these wandering souls if he defeated the ruler of the demon world.
- Haohmaru - "Haohmaru, do not get involved with demons." The warnings of Nicotine, his master, could not stop Haohmaru. That day, Haohmaru drank with his master for the first time in a while and set out on a journey: to find the demon that was after his soul.
- Jubei Yagyu - Even after the defeat of Amakusa, there was no end to the appearance of demons. The Shogun, Tokugawa, realizing the gravity of the situation, ordered Jubei to destroy these demons. But the demon's were hunting Jubei as well.
- Kyoshiro Senryo - "The soul of your 'techniques' are mine!" With that, one of his own servants attacked Kyoshiro. He was possessed by a demon. Kyoshiro nimbly evaded the attack and destroyed the demon.
- Nakoruru - As usual, Nakoruru stood with her eyes closed among the birches and tried to talk with nature. But that day, she couldn't hear the voice of nature. Something was wrong. Nakoruru could feel the spirit of nature being sucked away into the demon world.
- Ukyo Tachibana - The demon flower that Ukyo found was not the perfect flower he sought. "I do not know if this is true, but the perfect flower blooms in the center of the demon world." After hearing those words from an old scholar in the country of Musashi, Ukyo set off for the demon world again, despite his illness.
- Wan-Fu - One day, someone claiming to be a seer appeared before Wan-fu. This person told the story of "The Egg of the Destroyer," which could grant dominion over the world, in exchange for one's soul. With this item, the unification of China would be possible. Wan-fu set off on a journey.
- Mizuki Rashojin - She is a spirit that has become an immortal demon, through a pact with Ambrosia. Currently, Mizuki inhabits the body of Bizuki, a woman with supernatural powers. Bizuki had tried to subdue Mizuki and use its powers for good, but failed, and was possessed. Mizuki plans to merge the Palenke Stone and the Tanjil Stone to further strengthen the demon world. She is the first and only female final boss in the series, and the only boss to have assistance from a pet.
Hidden character Edit
- Kuroko - In the past, the Kuroko was a demon hunter, along with Nicotine. Back in those days, Nicotine wielded a sword named "Taima," and the Kuroko had already taken to concealing his identity in black. Together, these two defeated many powerful demons and none could stand in their way. None, until Mizuki Rashojin.
|Bamboos, early winter||Jubei|
|Battlefield, the sunset||Hanzo|
|Devil's Island, dinner||Genan|
|Edo, the Kabuki stage||Kyoshiro|
|The Gairyu Isle, evening||Haohmaru|
|The Gairyu Isle, night||Ukyo|
|Green Hell Island, marsh||Cham Cham|
|Himalaya, top of the mountain||Kuroko|
|Northern Country, summer||Nakoruru|
|Paris, the Versailles Palace||Charlotte|
|The Prosia Kingdom, nights||Sieger|
|San Francisco, noon||Galford|
|Susukigahara Field, November||Genjuro|
|Texas, Pacific Railway||Earthquake|
- Main article: Samurai Shodown II/Gallery